Weekly Coding Update #20

I spent most of my time this week on frame rate. First, I switched to API calls that give me sub-millisecond timing information (nanoseconds on my computer, but YMMV.) Then I changed the algorithm for calculating the frame rate (now I’m finding the average time for all the frames in the last second).

I audited the code for limiting the frame rate. This code was supposed to stop the frame rate from going over 60fps, but was sometimes also slowing it down below that unnecessarily.

I updated the conversation scripting capabilities, and updated our placeholder script so you get a speech bubble with the word you find (if you find it in time.)

I incorporated new art from Evan: the main menu background, and the graphic for the pause menu.

You can see the frame rate indicator, the new speech bubble and the pause menu in the screenshot below:

screenshot

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *